Wagga Wagga back to Wallal

Host: Warrawagine Cattle Co.
Written by Jacinta Mills – Owner, Warrawagine Cattle Co.

With exams for botany, agricultural economics, professional skills in agriculture and horticulture and chemical fundamentals out of the way, the mid-year break arrived just in time. A four hour train ride, two plane flights, and a 250km drive and I was home at Wallal. Sunshine, cattle, family, and friends, the next three weeks were going to be bliss. Turns out they were jam packed!

5.1 copy

And boy was I loving the 30 degree heat over the 0 degree icy temps Wagga had been producing. The crew were at Wallal in the middle of mustering. I jumped in to help out with mustering and yard work, loaded a few trucks, did bore runs, and started pumps. After a few days the Kimberley winter arrived and the night time temp had started to drop to 14 degrees. The next morning I decided it was time for a wood run and to get the fire pit cleaned out and going. Nothing beats sitting around the fire after tea, talking about your day, telling stories, and toasting marshmallows.

5.2 copy

With weather so perfect I had to throw the line in and see if I could catch some fish but to no avail. When the fish aren’t biting you walk the beach with a drink in hand looking at shells and admiring the view of the beautiful turquoise blue ocean. If you’re lucky enough you might even catch a glimpse of a dolphin or whale. Although Davo and Katie were luckier than I was and managed to catch a fish each.

5.3 copy

5.4 copyKatie and Davo with their fish.

The Marble Bar Races were on whilst I was home so Katie and myself made the three hour drive for the two day event. Dressed up to the nine’s on the Friday night for the ball and in our casual dresses on Saturday for the races it was a bloody fantastic weekend. I introduced Katie to my friends and family as well as fellow station people. I even got her to meet Lucie Bell the local rural and resources reporter for ABC Northwest Radio. Drinks, dancing, and conversation flowed all weekend. I also managed to make it to the neighbours place to celebrate a wonderful woman’s 50th birthday. What a party that was!! I got to catch up with many lovely faces and was extremely overwhelmed with all of the support from friends and fellow pastoralists for my studies at university.



That was my last weekend at home, my three week break had come to an end.

5.5 copy

Sunday was pack up day and the full day trek back to CSU in Wagga began at 4am on Monday morning.